Procedure of Dialysis for Kidney Failure and its Benefits
Kidneys are one of the vital organs without which life simply comes to an end over time. To cure kidney failure, Dialysis is the solution.
But before we highlight the procedure of dialysis, we shall shed some light upon the basic aspects of kidneys.
What is the basic function of kidneys?
It purifies the blood by removing excess waste and fluids from your body. All this waste gets deposited in the bladder and is excreted during urination.
What if the kidneys stop performing this function due to some disorder?
In that case, all the waste will remain inside the body and thus would act as a deadly venom for the body.
Here is when Dialysis comes to rescue. This treatment performs the function of the kidneys when they fail to do so.
Let’s begin with discussing the types and procedure of Dialysis.
There are two types of Dialysis– Haemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis
Haemodialysis: This procedure diverts the blood into a machine. After removing the waste, the blood is returned to the body.
Peritoneal Dialysis: This procedure pumps the dialysis fluid into the abdominal space, from where the waste products are drawn out from the blood.
PROCEDURE OF HAEMODIALYSIS
- This process requires connecting an artery to a vein. This is the special blood vessel called arteriovenous fistula (AV fistula) created in the arm.
- Two needles are inserted.
- One needle removes the blood which is then transferred to a machine called dialyser.
- Dialyser then removes the waste from the blood.
- After filtration, the blood is transferred back to the body with the help of the second needle.
PROCEDURE OF PERITONEAL DIALYSIS
There are two forms of peritoneal dialysis- Continuous peritoneal dialysis and Automated peritoneal dialysis.
- Continuous peritoneal dialysis process:
- Before dialysis, an opening is made in the abdomen and a thin catheter is inserted.
- During the procedure, dialysate fluid flows through the catheter into the abdomen.
- The waste products present in the blood are drawn into this fluid.
- After the draining of waste into this fluid, the fluid is drawn into waste bag and fresh dialysate fluid replaces to fill the abdominal cavity.
- This procedure is performed several times a day.
- Automated peritoneal dialysis process:
- This procedure makes use of a peritoneal dialysis machine.
- A bag containing dialysate fluid is attached to the machine.
- This machine then performs the function of removing waste from the blood itself.
- Before the start of the next session, this fluid is replaced with a fresh one.
Dialysis is a life saviour for those whose kidneys have succumbed to the disorders that affected them. Here we shall also spell out the benefits of both the dialysis processes separately:
ADVANTAGES OF HAEMODIALYSIS
- Few days in a week: This process requires three days a week to carry out the treatment which makes the rest of the week free for the patients.
- Longevity: AV fistulas last longer than the other forms of dialysis and this generally does not require other surgical procedures.
- Low risk of infection: This procedure carries a low risk of infection since AV fistula increases the chances of protection against infections.
- Fewer complications: Due to use of AV fistula, the risks are reduced.
ADVANTAGES OF PERITONEAL DIALYSIS
- Can be carried at home: This procedure can be carried at home without the requirement of the heavy equipment as in the case of haemodialysis procedure. The equipment of this procedure is portable and can be moved for convenience.
- Fewer restrictions on diet: This procedure imposes fewer restrictions on food and fluid intake as compared to haemodialysis process.
- Regular visits are not required: This procedure does not require regular visits to the dialysis unit.
Dialysis has brought many lives back to what they used to be before their kidneys stopped functioning properly.
Both the forms of dialysis have their own health benefits. Though it is not easy to undergo the dialysis treatment still it is a blessing for those who had lost the hopes of restoring the balance in their health.
Narad Hospital has the expert health professionals who have gained the expertise over many years. The dialysis machines at our hospital facility are at par with modern treatments existing in the healthcare sector. Narad Hospital renders the best dialysis treatment with the right combination of our doctors’ expertise and world-class dialysis apparatus. Get the expert’s opinion right away here without any delay and see a new ray of hope leading you towards great health.